Sunday, February 7, 2010

Diagnostic Reading Assessments and Reading Groups

One thing Miss Liz did at the school was pull out reading groups. This is much needed and to for groups I decided to test each student's reading level using the MICO diagnostic reading assessment. I knew nothing of it before Peace Corps, but learned how during Pre-Service Training. While giving the test it broke my heart to see the low reading levels. More than half of the students are at least two grade levels behind and when you look at comprehension scores, almost all. Some of the questions test vocabulary and when I asked one girl the meaning of the word flooded, after repeating the question a few times she wondered, "In K'ekchi, Miss?"
I then put a list together of some suggested groups for every class by reading level with 3-4 students in each. I double checked with the teachers to make sure my results line up with what they see in class. I was surprised how hard it was for me to set up the time for the groups. At first I thought it would be okay to just take them out of class in the afternoons, but no. Well, I was hoping to meet with each group twice a week, but I guess we'll start with once and go from there. I've made individual sheets for each student to record their attendance and books read at home--I'm hoping for some family support by making little cards they'll sign when their child has read them a book. I think the next log will just be a time log, writing in the date when they have read for 20 minutes at home. I'll also keep track of their progress as I plan to retest them every term. I'll then reassess every student at the beginning of the school year. My goal is to have 60% of the students at Santa Teresa RC School at or above where they should be in reading. This is possible!! Especially if I continue working with the students in the summer which I imagine would go over well. Any suggestions or strategies to help, let me know! Loves and Hugs!

1 comment:

  1. Keep up the good work. Parental involvement is very important and you must have a program where parents are taught how to use the same strategies you use in your classroom. I find the Quality Comprehension Model to be pretty effective for teaching skills such as making predictions, vocabulary development etc. Remember that all students can learn once they are given enough time and quality instruction!!
    Allyson- Barbados

    ReplyDelete