Saturday, February 13, 2010

Santa Comes a Little Late


What a week of surprises! I guess it was only two days but my goodness what a treat. I was pretty excited bringing the dictionaries and when I walked into the office saw 6 new (to us) desks and chairs. Woot woot! Mr. Chub also snagged a filing cabinet from the Parsh Hall. Of course we're still far from every student having a desk and chair they can sit at tand use and see the chalk board, but every bit helps! Plus, Im looking forward to helping Mr. Chub write a proposal for “furnintures,” and have ideas of applying for the Kids to Kids grant for some sports equipment and PE uniforms.

The next day a few members from the PTA came along with the Alcalde, bringing sacks full of school supplies and a few games/toys. The gifts were from a group of tourists and I thought it was really neat for them to give everything to the alcalde to distribute. Materials good for a classroom were given to the teachers and everything else was divided so each student got a gift. I loved how they even split up the marker/colored pencil sets so instead of a few students getting a pack, each student got one color. The men even opened the magic coloring sets, you know, the ones where the marker isclear and only colors o the paper included. I kindly informed them those sets needed to stay together. There were a couple onezies and of course the joke was that they were for me. The PTA chairman, Mr. Max, has the best laugh. After all the items were separated the men went around giving out the gifts. Each student got 2 pencils, a pen, a marker/colored pencil, and a little girt. These gifts ranged from a jacks set to a pencil bag, to a balloon, just imagine the complaints of unfairness... oh wait, I'm in Belize, everyone was more than happy with everything they got.

3 comments:

  1. Hey, I came across your blog today googling about being a teacher for Peace Corps. This made me laugh so much: "just imagine the complaints of unfairness... oh wait, I'm in Belize, everyone was more than happy with everything they got."
    I hope you don't mind if I stalk you for a little bit, I'm curious to read a little bit more of your experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy to make you laugh... read away. :)

    ReplyDelete