Saturday, February 13, 2010

Life without indoor plumbing


I do have running water, a spicket in my front yard. I even have a water bill, which I paid for the first time in December. At the end of every month a few members of the water board sit at the community center and people come to pay their bill. It's $8 per month, but since I am a volunteer here to help the village, I'll only pay half price, and since everyone else only paid $4 for December because of the holiday season, and since I was in Belmopan a couple weeks I only paid $8 for October, November, and December. I think I'll send my mom the bill. Hehe. I really appreciate the discount which I'm pretty sure was suggested by Mr. Mas. He doesn't think I should have to pay at all. I'm happy to pay to support the community and some place else I could have easily been given the American discount-charged double. My water bill is just a little reminder that I am wanted here. I use the pipe to wash my hands, brush my teeth, wash my face, clean my dishes, and occasionally wash my clothes and bathe when the river is too muddy.
My latrine is very nice. Even has a lock making me the lone user. I haven't seen any cockroaches yet, but for some reason the mosquitos like to chill in there. I just use FISH (bug killer) as my air freshener, much like OFF! Can be used as colgne.
Every morning I walk with the girls to the creek. I have yet to go alone. I even have my own little rock for washing. Sine I go every day it takes about a half hour to finish. Sometimes I'm tempted to have it done in town, especially after being gon a few days when I have a bag full of dirty clothes already with me, but for the most part, I enjoy handwashing my clothes. I almost took a picture of the backside of my house as I got the okay from my host dad to “piss” there my first night in Santa Teresa. Often times I'll see Ione pull down her pants, that's if she's wearing any, and squat and go. Maybe that's how the puppies learned as I usually see them bend their back legs instead of lifting them. Yes, even the boy dogs. Even in Punta Gorda it's common to see people go behind buildings or if possible simply turn their back and let it loose. I'm not to that point yet.

2 comments:

  1. Dear Amy,

    Happy Valentines Day <B This is my best attempt at a heart shape!!! Just imagine that I am sending you pretty white roses =) Thinkn of you. Bethany

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello and salam from Malaysia. I am a 40 yr old guy and I love reading PCVs blogs. Yours is truly interesting and please keep on writing cool good stuff :)

    ReplyDelete