Friday, February 19, 2010

Library update

I decided I should give you a little update on the library since it is a good example of a lesson learned. As said best by another volunteer during AVC (All Volunteer Conference) "They have to want it just as bad or more than you do." When I first got to Santa Teresa I noticed a huge need in the library and saw a way to help even though it was tons of busy work on my part. While taking inventory of each book I ignored teh questions of "is this really the best way I can be spending my time?" I even tried opening the library during break, but then I was gone for about a week and when I came back there was a new library schedule, letting each class go once a week. Plus while in Belmopan I heard more about the Belize National Library Service and how we would need a librarian from the community to take advantage of the services. So now I am waiting. Both Mr. Chub and Mr. Max (the PTA Chairman) have mentioned making a trip to Belize City to find out more information. While waiting, I'm sure to bring it up at staff meetings, but will only follow their lead giving support where I can. That's why I am here.

No comments:

Post a Comment