Sunday, February 7, 2010

TFABB-Teachers For a Better Belize

"I think you might have stepped in poo." ~Kevina
(Just pretend I put this up last month.)
I realize that quoting Kevina at the beginning of this post might give the wrong impression for the TFABB visit, but it makes me laugh just thinking back to the moment and I guess it was pretty much the first impression I had of the TFABB visitors. Oh brother! Haha! I couldn't have asked for better people to work with. It was so nice meeting Mica in person. She helped me a bunch before I left the States as she was a volunteer here in Belize getting ready to go back home. She was an answered prayer then and continues to be so. It's amazing how some people have teh ability to make you feel comfortable as though you've known them longer than the 2 seconds it takes to say "hello." I would guess it was from corresponding online before we met, but sometimes that makes things more awkward. I'll say it was from the welcoming hug. It was great, too, that Mica had lived in PG and could fill me in on what to know and introduce me to important people. Jennifer and Kim were just as great. And the more I learn about TFABB the more amazed I am. One of my favorite things during their visit was when the girls would explain the partnership to other tourists. Of course, the wheels in my mind started turning and I probably exaggerated their interest when I thought I saw their eyes widen and brighten when they heard Teachers for a Better Belize. To me, these people either were or knew teachers in the States and obviously Belize holds a piece of their heart-that's what happens once you spend some time here. Each one was going to go home and investigate further how they could help. Anyways, back to the visit and speaking of inbestigating... I still have yet to find out abou the secret of the river by the light of the full moon. Give me time, give me time. I really enjoyed meeting the Catholic Management and the Ministry of Education-Toledo. Not only did we visit their offices on Monday, but we also had dinner together Friday night. At first I was thinking it wasn't that big of a deal, meeting with these important people, but now I want to say it kinda was, even while eating across from Mr. Reyes listening to Mr. Caytano exclaim his dislike of slimy frogs, I was wondering who their equivalents would be in the States. It's hard to make the comparison since the government and education systems are different here, but I was definitely reminded that people are people. I was havppy to have Mica, Jen, and Kim visit Santa Teresa RC school, even a little proud and honored thinking, "this is my school." Who, how will I feel after one year? It has only been a few months. They enjoyed the visit and got along well with the staff. I was glad the teachers were just as welcoming to them as they have been with me. The girls modeled some read alouds and language arts lessons and gave me great ideas on what to start on. I feel so lucky to have such wonderful support. I'm excited to see all the improvements at Santa Teresa RC School in these next two years and love knowing the work will continue after I am gone. I'm very thankful this partnership also includes access to resources. TFABB and Santa Teresa really are "best friends."

1 comment:

  1. amy,
    I am working with TFABB producing a documentary about their work in the Toledo district. I spent time in Santa Teresa last year. Edvin, Nathanial, Martha and Anna were interviewed. Edvin and his family gave me tour of their home, and Nathanial turned the tables on me and interviewed me. clever kids. Martha and Anna were extremely shy.

    I dont know if I will be back, but I think about Santa Teresa and the children every day. I have their photos on my desk.

    I am editing the project now and do not know when it will be completed.

    Would you please tell the children and Mr Chub hello for me?

    ReplyDelete