Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Who needs an oven

One day I came home from school to Miss Louisa kneading bread, yes bread. For all of you who know me well, you know how much I love bread and if you think of how many tortillas I've been eating lately and how long it has been since I've had fresh baked bread you can almost understand how excited I was. One thing that had me confused though was knowing we had no gas for our oven, so how on earth were we going to bake bread. As usual, I kept the question to myself and instead offered to help. We went through a few rounds of taking turns kneading, Miss Louisa, Martha, and I and the bread was then soft enough. I decided to give in and asked, "Did you get gas for the oven," thinking she must have without me realizing. The response was no, I'll cook it in the fire hearth. What? You can do that? I was intrigued, but sadly had a meeting to go to and missed out on the baking process. I came home to beautifully baked rolls, still warm, and very delicious.
Luckily, I was home the next time baking was on the daily agenda. It was Edwardo's 18th birthday and I had bought a cake mix in town so we could bake him a birthday cake. I wasn't sure what kind to get, but for some reason I am always craving chocolate so went for Devil's food. This became a joke in the Mas household, them making fun of me for bringing home the devil's cake (I did find out it was Miss Louisa's favorite though, so we'll be having it again in March). Over my lunch break we mixed up the batter and I was still trying to wrap my mind around baking in the fire hearth. I thought rolls were probably a little easier, but a cake?!? I put all trust in Louisa as she told me to put the batter in a large pot which she then put in an even larger one. Since I'm not very good at describing things, I'm glad I took pictures.
Now I know how to bake on a fire hearth and that anything is possible!

No comments:

Post a Comment