Thursday, November 26, 2009

Children's Day






November 20th marked Children's Day, which is a day to celebrate the rights of child, so instead of sitting in classes we had a day of fun and games!! Oh how I love Belize! We met at the school for a quick assembly, which I enjoyed because I always like singing the Belizean National Anthem, "Land of the free by the Carib Sea our manhood we pledge to thy liberty..." Wow! I could almost keep going and write the whole thing, but it's pretty long, maybe I'll wait for a time I can post a video of the kids singing it. Anyways, after the assembly, we went to the field and started the races. First was the sack race, followed by the marble and spoon, then onto the three-legged race and needle and thread. All the supplies for the games were brought by the students. Some were assigned to bring the sacks, others the spoons. We also had an egg toss and football game before lunch. After lunch it was time for volleyball. The students were split into three houses "Toucan" "Jaguar" and "The Mighty Scorpion." The winners of each race added points to the score, but when I asked later how the winning team was awarded, this was indeed a silly question. "We're just the winners Miss Amy." During the day we had music playing and Kool-Aid to drink, it was so great and I can't wait until next year. It made think a day at the field would be a good summer, or even Christmas break activity, though. I'm sure I would just have to tell a few kids and the word would get around the village.

No comments:

Post a Comment