Saturday, November 7, 2009

Visitors Visitors All Over the Place

It was so great to meet Wes and Peggy from TFABB!! I'm happy I'll be seeing more of them and was surprised how interested they were in my adjustment. Plus, they brought me candy! How great to be in a place where people are FOR me. I was way off thinking this Peace Corps experience was going to be done on my own. They were supportive of my project plan ideas and commented on my relational skills. Again, positiveness filled the air. I'm excited to finish up what I can in the library this week and move on to outcome indexes, checklists, and baseline data next week. Then onto reflecting with Mr. Chub, making sure he's the one giving me direction-it is his school- and after that... word walls, diagnostic reading assessments, learning centers, and the 6+1 traits of writing. Woot woot!
I was so excited about that I almost forgot to mention the other visitors of the day. The Roman Catholic Manager came to the school for a community meeting mostly addressing the importance of pre-school. Before the meeting we were having a conversation in the office, well, he was talking to Mr. Chub and I was listening, about some needs of the school. The National Library Service was brought up and the fact they helped with furnitures made Mr. Chub take note. There's also a possibility of librarian training if it is open to the public which I am all for. The larger meeting was in K'ekchi, but I did my best to pay attention and even wrote down a few words to ask for translation later. I need to do that more often, just carry an exercise book with me at all times and continually ask people to teach me a new word. Hey! After two years, I should have quite the vocabulary. Soon I'll be giving you a lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment