Thursday, November 26, 2009

Thanksgiving










I spent Thanksgiving this year with my new Peace Corps Belize Family at the lovely George Price Center in Belmopan! Since there were 80+ people attending, we split up the food responsibilities by district. Those of us in Toledo were responsible for potatoes, bread, and appetizers. This took some preparation the night before and a day of cooking. I was on the last shift before the meal so got to help with finishing the products. I put my deviled egg filling and sliced bread arranging skills to work. I also learned how to make corn fritters. It was nice to have time in the kitchen and I enjoyed working with the other PCV's on a project, no matter how small it was, together. Wait! This was not a small project. My goodness, it was quite the production. Feeding 80+ people! Plus the tables were beautifully decorated and we all had a chance to express our gratitude on a poster. I wish I would have remembered to bring my turkey hands from Cora and Conner. They would have been a beautiful addition. Megan and I decided to write "Ma sa li wa!" Which in K'ekchi means, "this food is nice." The floor was also open for anyone who would like to verbally give thanks. I couldn't keep from smiling as I continued to look around the conference room as we all enjoyed our Thanksgiving meal together. This is a new tradition in Belize, only the second annual, but I'm sure it's one that will stay for years to come. Hope you all had a very blessed Thanksgiving!! Gobble Gobble!

2 comments: