Monday, November 16, 2009

Little Bits of Life


I love these delicious tuts (K'ekchi word for nuts). They fall of the tree and you crush them between two rocks. Hillaria loves to crack them for me. Probably because she saw how much trouble I was having on my own.

I have come to love shilling bags of water. 12 oz for 25 cents. Quite economical! (You can also get two bananas for a shilling.)


Funny how I live in Belize and still bank at Scotia.

Nephtali: "Miss Amy Miss Amy" as he comes and grabs my hands
Me: "Good morning, Nephtali! How are you?"
Nephtali: "Five years old!" everytime
Oh! My heart has been captured.


This is the puppy I have unofficially claimed as my own. His name you ask? Marshall. Given to him by Martha and Hillaria. I'm not sure why since the other puppies were named Steven Seagal, Rambo, Jackie Chan, and Van Damme. I guess that's appropriate, especially since raising dogs in a village is a survival of the fittest. I'm glad Jerry has outlasted the weaklings and is still in good company. Marshall and Steven sure do like to fight though. Oh! And the dogs don't really lift their legs to pee. Strange I would notice this, more strange I would post it, but it's so odd. They just squat down a little and go.

How do you wash your car in Belize? You drive down into the river a bit so you don't have to carry your bucket so far. I had to look twice out the window of the bus when I saw this.

I absolutely love that they make their own brooms here in Santa Teresa. It's the coolest thing ever.

One afternoon during break I was reading in the office when a swarm of girls came in. After they awkwardly looked at me for awhile I got out my pen and drew up a game of Hangman. They loved to play and I threw in a K'ekchi word (chabil, which means pretty, beautiful) to catch them off guard. That was quite some time ago now, but they still bring it up. They also like to hear me sing "I know an old lady who swallowed a fly..." And sometimes when I'm walking around the village they'll start singing as they pass me, "she swallowed a spider..."


My first Maya dress, made in school uniform colors so I can wear it to work and everyone loves when I do. "You are K'ekchi!" The PCV in another village has even been asked when she's going to get a dress like mine. I'm so excited my aunt is a seamstress. I may ask to watch her next time so I can learn and make my own.

One of the morning songs the students sing at school is "Thank you God for giving us..." Every once in awhile I'll here a student break out into song and insert "Peace Corps" when I'm around.

All these things make me smile, and then that smile bursts and I start laughing.

Loves and Hugs!

1 comment:

  1. Can we help you with a water or sanitation project in Belize?

    Averill Strasser

    Appropriate Projects
    http://appropriateprojects.com

    Water Charity
    http://watercharity.org

    ReplyDelete