Saturday, October 3, 2009

Site Assignment!

I never know how to start my entries, so I guess this is as good as any. I love reading all your comments; it's so encouraging. A big thanks, too, to all of you who have sent me letters. I absolutely love checking my slot at the office on Fridays and seeing letters from home. I've been pretty busy I guess. Last night while eating dinner at Friendship restaurant I saw a calendar and thought to myself, “That's funny, they already have their October calendar up.” Then I realized it actually IS October! Crazy to think I've been here since August. I called my sister to wish her a happy early birthday since I won't have the chance next Saturday and Cora answered. She asked me if I was still in that place. I told her, yes, I'm still in Belize and she responded with, “Awww... Bummer.” What a cutie. She was happy I called though and I was happy to talk to her. And speaking of nieces, I now have one in Maya Mopan. I was wondering why I felt connected to my little neighbor girl right away. The first time I met little Shirley, her smile went straight to my heart. Then one night I went to church with her and her mother I was given more family information. I'm still not entirely sure how everyone fit together, but I've fully accepted I will never completely understand what's happening around me for the next two years. Wait... when have I? Anyways, the aunt-niece connection stands true even here in Belize with host families. And about going to church, that's a story in itself. I decided to go even though I wasn't sure my host mom really wanted me to go and my little brother kept telling me they would be mean and kick me out, which was very confusing since I was going with family. Once I got there my eldest host brother welcomed me as his “friend” wishing me the best, which was the first time I ever heard him talk since he's never around the house and when he is, stays in his room. It was a nice gesture and he also was translating the sermon which was about being happy in your heart because of the Lord. I was very happy and absolutely loved singing the worship songs. It was one of those moments I couldn't even sing because I was overwhelmed with joy, reminding me once again how much I love being in Belize. Also during the service I was asked to come up and share my testimony, how's that for on the spot? I asked if I could just share a favorite verse, so I recited 1 John 4:12 “For no one has ever seen God, but if we love one another, God lives in us, and His love is made complete within us.” Even though most of the congregation couldn't understand what I said, they clapped anyways. I wish I would have been able to share a verse in Ke'kchi, which I may be able to do sometime because I was given a pamphlet with a few verses in Ke'kchi. Woot woot! Language training has been going pretty well. Most of mine is outside of class with my host family and I sometimes I can pick up on a few words, like after getting a sunburn they were making fun of me and I knew it. I also have fun playing “Ani xk'aba...” with little Jose, asking each other the name for different things. One time this even drew in a crowd. Of course we were sitting on the veranda while people were coming for tortillas, but while waiting most of them were listening and word even got around to Grace's host mom that I knew my Ke'kchi. Ha ha! I wish, but someday, especially since I'm moving to Santa Teresa. Yes! I got my final placement site! I'll be living in Santa Teresa which is a Ke'kchi village of about 400 with no electricity, but access to running water. When we went to visit the site they were thatching a house and we also took a look at the brand new corn mill. The community seemed very nice and the school was super excited to have their volunteer. I have boxes waiting for me. Plus, I'll be working with a women's group for my secondary project who just received a $30,000 ($15,000 US) grant to be used for a solar powered computer lab. There are endless possibilities and I'm getting more excited by the minute.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah Santa Teresa! So excited for you! You will love it!

    ReplyDelete