Saturday, October 17, 2009

Two Truths and a Lie

I live in the jungle.
I live in a thatch house.
I live in a village of 200.

I go to bed at 8pm.
I sleep in a hammock.
I wake up at 5am.

I have tasted gibut.
I have tasted armadillo.
I have tasted iguana.

I finished reading "Searching for God Knows What."
I finished reading "Lovely Bones."
I finished reading "I Was Told There'd Be Cake."

Oh how I love Santa Teresa. Funny how it was the village I easily was wishing for someone else, but now that I'm here I couldn't imagine being anywhere else. I know my site is the best! The first person I met from my village at the counterpart workshop was my host father, the village chairman. He told me about his family and how he will teach me to catch a green iguana and take me fishing in his handmade canoe. (He is a licensed tour guide, so if you come visit me...) Next walked in the principal of the school and I couldn't help but notice he had a smile on his face at all times. He told me about his family, the village, and the school which made me excited to leave the workshop and get home. Yes, Santa Teresa became my home away from home in no time. Already am I greeted with, "Hello Miss Amy," by everyone who passes. My host family speaks in K'ekchi, translating only when I'm not understanding something important. I'm far from the conversation level, but there is hope. After giving me a Bible in Ke'kchi, my host father said, "in a month's time you will be Ke'kchi." Since I was already planning on reading from Genesis to Revelation. I can now do it in two languages!
Now, back to my little game. I'm pretty sure you've guessed correctly. I tried not to make it too hard. Yes, I live in the jungle of Belize. The scenery is beautiful. Yes, I live in a thatch house. No, Santa Teresa has a population of about 520, but I'm pretty sure there are only 10 last names. Yes, I go to bed at 8pm. No, I do not sleep in a hammock, but I do take afternoon naps in one. Yes, I wake up at 5am. Yes, I have tasted gibnut. I like it better in stew than smoked. Yes, I have tasted armadillo. It is very tasty, but beware of the scales. No, I have not tasted iguana, but I'm sure I will. Yes, I have finished "Searching for God Knows What." No, I have not finishe "Lovely Bones," but I'm on my way. Yes, I have finished "I Was Told There'd Be Cake." I really enjoy reading and have the time, so if you have any suggestions send them my way... literally. Hehe! :D Or just let me know and I can look for them. Loves and Hugs!

3 comments:

  1. Wonderful! I love Santa Teresa too! Such a great place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. read the "shopaholic" books by sophia kinsella. they are my absolute favorite

    ReplyDelete