Wednesday, January 6, 2010

My Own Place






I now have my own place! I love it and I didn't have to move far. Actually, I didn't have to move at all. Notice the water tower in the background, one of those little things that brings me joy as it reminds me of home-still living next to the water tower. I had a hard time believing Camilio when he said he could take everything out of the house with my room, letting me stay and rent from them, but the day after I said, "Let's try it," the house was emptied and mine. I'm not sure where they are keeping everything, but they even managed to transfer the phone, which required moving the antenna pole and solar panel. I seemed to make a bigger deal out of the decision, continually going back and forth, each time being set for the last time. Now that I'm no longer in between I feel much more at ease. I've been decorating my place with the pictures and cards you have sent me, practicing my tape lamenating skills so they aren't ruined by the humidity.
Perks of staying close to my host family: The house was pretty much furnished. I got to keep my bed, there are lots of shelves, a counter, table, two chairs, Louisa is letting me borrow dishes and kitchen supplies plus she washes my sheets, Martha was sweeping my floor until Louisa made me a broom, and I can have all the corn tortillas I want and ocassionally they feed me a meal. Did I mention this is all for $100BZ/month ($50US). Sounds like a pretty good landlord to me. One thing I did need to buy was a stove so I could cook in my house. This ended up being not as expensive as I thought it would be as I decided to simply get a table stove. If I want to do any baking I'll have to find a friend with an oven, which may have already happened, but I'll get to that later. Then, not only would I have company, which makes baking more fun, I would also have someone to share the goodies with. I think it will work our pretty well. I was a little too excited when I got the stove, hose, clamps, regulator, and tank home (all brought on the bus). I asked Mr. Mas to hook it up for me, already picturing myself making some hot tea, which is funny because I don't even have a tea kettle. Sadly, the hook-ups didn't match and right away I knew I would have to wait. Surprisingly I wasn't bothered at all thinking to myself, "that's the way it is," although Mr. Mas kept thinking of ways he could make it work, none of which did. I was fine with waiting until my next trip to town, a whole week and a half away. I guess Peace Corps really does make you more patient, but by the night before the next market bus, Alejandro was outside my house saying "Yo'os," (knocking is unheard of). I said, "Okan" (come in) and he went on to tell me he was going to town in the morning. "Maybe there is something that you need?" Add personal shopper to my list of perks. I sent my hose and the hook-ups with him and he came back to then put it together for me. So yes, living on my own and renting from the Mas family is better than I expected it to be. Plus, the money I saved can go towards a ticket home, most likely for Christmas 2010. One holiday season away from family is one too many. Loves and Hugs!!

No comments:

Post a Comment