Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Letters and Invites





One afternoon I walked into the Standard 2 and 3 classroom and saw a few girls writing, I jokingly asked, "Are you writing me a letter?" Thier answer, "No... I mean, Yes, Miss Amy," and during break I had three friendly letters in beautifully decorated envelopes. They wrote things from, "You are the only person in Santa Teresa" (I'm not sure what's meant by this) to "Please come to my house..." Soon I was getting more letters and invites just in time for Christmas break. I'm still at the point where I feel I need to be invited over to someone's house and even feel funny when the invitation comes from a 7 year old, but more and more I'm realizing unexpected visitors are welcome. I love it when people show up at my door, even at 6:30 in the morning, why wouldn't anyone else? It's not like there's much else to do in a rural village. I've visited a few homes taking along my cards and Pass the Pigs (and now Barrel of Monkeys). I'll have to leave the games for the next volunteer. Another good thing about visiting are my Ke'kchi lessons that always seems to happen. These usually bring about much laughter as I have trouble pronouncing most words, but I was happy to hear one the little girls saying "ninnau" which means "to know." I guess she was impressed with my vocabulary- mostly animals, food, and kitchen items, but it still made me smile. One of my letters even included an anklet, and another a picture, which almost made me cry as only some families have a few pictures, but Rebecca wanted to give me one so I would remember her and asked, "When you go home I just want one picture so I can remember your face." How sweet. I feel like if I never wanted to spend and afternoon/evening alone in my house I wouldn't have to especially since when I leave I'm asked when I am coming back. "Come back yesterday." (I think little Marvin meant tomorrow. Hehe. Oh, how I love that language barrier.) Loves and Hugs!

No comments:

Post a Comment