Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Host Family

While driving from Belmopan to Maya Mopan, I kept thinking to myself, "I don't want to be the first person dropped off," so of course as soon as the vehicle stopped I heard, "This is Amy's house." While unloading my bag I was also heard, "She doesn't speak English." What?!? I won't be able to talk to my host mom until I learn K'ekchi?!? Agh! But she did greet me in the most appropriate way, with a hug. Luckily my host sister knows English pretty well, and my host brothers know a little less, but they are all great teachers! My first lesson was counting to five and Mario was all over having me repeat it and trying to count on my own. Carolina is my pronunciation pro. We laugh a lot about all the words I can't say correctly. I just know I'm saying something completely different when I pronounce something wrong. Jose' kept pointing out things and telling me the K'ekchi word while I was washing my clothes on Sunday. Yes, I am hand washing my clothes, taking outdoor showers, using a latrine, and sleeping under my mosquito net.
Every meal is also an experience, not knowing for sure what I'm eating. Last night there was a hunk of this white substance on my plate. I took a big bite, leaving me with a mouthful of spongy cheese. I've quickly learned to take smaller bites. This afternoon I had some soup with vegetables and what I first thought was boiled chicken, because I really couldn't see what it was. As I went to get a piece my spoon easily cut through and came out yellow. First I was frightened, but then I realized it was just an enormous egg! Not only do we have dogs and chickens in our backyard, but also turkeys. Oh! And tul (banana) and mank (mango) trees. Overall the food has been fine, plus, my family owns a tortilla shop, so I have all the fresh corn tortillas I want with every meal.
It took me awhile to figure out who all lives at my house, but I think I know now, even though I'm not sure I've met everyone. It's hard to keep track because there are so many people that stop by and hang around, especially when the TV is on or we're playing cards, Pass the Pigs, or hide and seek. I love to play! Anything! It doesn't matter if you speak English, K'ekchi, Spanish, or Kriol; you can still have fun.
The days seem to be getting better and better. I've felt relaxed ever since being in Belize, but recently not so comfortable. It's hard for me not being able to communicate with those around me. I have to write down what I want to say to my host mom, like things as simple as asking to pack a lunch. I am starting to feel more comfortable though, especially when I remind myself I haven't even been here a full week. Last night was so great! I went to my host sister's house across town. She had four little boys and all they would do was smile. The oldest one started talking to me, asking if I knew Spanish. I told him I wanted to learn Spanish AND K'ekchi. His response, "Let's learn now." I was glad I had brought my language manual and I started by reading a story and asking him to translate it. Again, my pronounciation was off, which made it hard for him to know what I was saying. He told me to "Go home and just say the words over and over and over." I mentioned my brain hurting after learning so much which he didn't understand because learning was easy for him, "When I was born I had English and Spanish and K'ekchi all in my head." Haha! I'll never forget him saying that, or his laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment