Wednesday, August 26, 2009

CBT

Community Based Training starts tomorrow!!
I'm so nervous to meet my Mayan family who is told to only speak to me in K'e Kchi! Agh! I'm learning K'e Kchi! I'll be moving to a village just outside the capital with three other education volunteers. I'm so excited! I'll be there five weeks learning to live as Belizean's live- hand washing my clothes, possibly using a latrine, sleeping under a mosquito net, etc. Right now I should be back in my hotel room soaking up my last few hours of AC, but instead I'm going to a children's center to help sew school uniforms. I haven't used a sewing machine for a few years, but I'm sure I'll find some way to help. I've been completely surrounded by other trainees and PC staff for the past week. I'm excited to have an opportunity to be around some locals. I love walking to the Peace Corps office every morning as the children in the community are walking to school, each wearing a nice uniform and a bright smile. During my program interview, the program manager asked if I would be interested in helping with activities outside of training teachers. Of course I was all over that. I want to be involved in my site as much as possible and would so love helping with those extra-curricular activities. Another side note. I was feeling a little down last night, but after a conversation with my roommate, I realized I was lacking in the hug department. She mentioned needing 15 hugs a day for emotional health, so I'm going to be more proactive in that area. Luckily, most of the other trainees enjoy hugs as much as I do.

3 comments:

  1. Very cool! I'm glad you found out where you'll be living! I'll talk to you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hugs yay!!! i was pretty jealous when i read about you swimming at the ruins. that sounds freaking amazing!!! good luck meeting the fam!

    ReplyDelete