Monday, September 14, 2009

Cockroaches in the latrine...

...I'm not sure I'll ever be comfortable with you there.

It's been a busy week! Starting with a visit to the Toledo district to check out some of the potential placement sites. There are more sites than volunteers, but only four K'ekchi sites, so a few of us have a pretty good idea of where we are going. Plus, the four villages were pretty close to each other which makes me happy. As we were driving through the first K'ekchi village I got butterflies in my stomach, picturing myself there. How exciting! There was something great about each site that made me glad I was not the person deciding where I would be placed. I don't think I could do it. One of the schools was very small, only three instructors teaching two grades each. Another school already had boxes held for their Peace Corps Volunteer and had written on the calendar that we were coming to visit that day. The last school we were able to visit was very large with multiple classes for each level. The village was more like a town, it even had a computer lab with internet. We drove past the fourth site, so that's exciting in itself, not knowing what the school was like. We also went to a few Creole communities and honestly, I'm so happy I know I'll be in a K'ekchi village. Something about the Maya people makes me want to work with them. Plus, all four future sites are pretty close to Punta Gorda. Isn't it beautiful? I'm pretending that's my bicycle leaning against the palm tree. I can't wait to get a bike!
On the way back from Toledo we had a two hour delay at the bridge. It rained so much the night before that the only bridge back to Belmopan was flooded all day. Luckily we were able to cross and get home. I wouldn't have minded staying another day in PG, but we have so much to do in training that losing a day would have been hard to make up, especially since the day after our field trip was market day. The four of us trainees along with Miss Carmelina went to the market to practice our K'ekchi purchasing skills. Then, we helped make the turkey soup. I was surprised how good cassava is, and also warned about the pronunciation. I can't remember the two terms right now, but it's a horrible story, I'll just tell you the word for cassava is similar to younger sibling. After our first meal as a training group, we were going to watch a movie in K'ekchi, but instead we worked on our teacher training projects. Next week we'll be doing a workshop for teachers in Georgeville as an entire education group on classroom management. I get to talk about consistency and the importance of focusing on the behavior and not the child. I'm hoping to find the movie and watch it soon.
I went back to Miss Maria's house (my host sister with the four little boys who lives across town). It was good to see my 9 year old tutor, Freddie, but the comment I'll never forget this time wasn't as light. Maria's youngest son is maybe 8 months old, and she was asking me (of course it was translated by cousin Mario) if I would want to take Junior back to the states with me. Really? I couldn't imagine her actually wanting to give her child away to a stranger and hold back tears every time I think about it. My response to her request was I'm living here for two years, plus I don't know how to raise a child. So I guess Mom was right in worrying about me falling in love and bringing back an adopted child.
Thursday was a holiday. I went to the ceremony and saw the parade. During the ceremony the speaker was talking about the schools and how 60% of teachers in Belize are untrained. This reminded me of my reasons for coming. After the parade was a party at the park including a punta dancing contest and a greasy pole competition. Some guy greased up a pole with lard, putting a flag at the top and a group of four men climbed up on each other trying to get the flag. There was only one team competing, but they got the flag on the first try without needing the fourth man. Oh Belize, I love you so.
I spent the weekend in Belmopan with a current PCV. We went to Belize City, and yes, it was a lot better going for fun. I really enjoy meeting current Peace Corps Volunteers. I love hearing about their time in Belize and also their life before PC. Plus, Melissa had great resources for my Teacher Training session on comprehension strategies. What are the odds. During the weekend I also went to a bird rescue farm owned by a couple from Wales. It is illegal to own a wild bird in Belize, but many people do and clip their wings, so once they are rescued, they have to grow new wings and learn to live on their own. The farm was beautiful and so were all the birds. The couple was very nice and invited us to come back anytime.


So yes, life is good down here in Belize. Hot, but good. It's crazy to think Nebraska weather is cooling down and soon the colors of fall will be all around. I know I'll miss the seasons, but I also know I love what I see here.

2 comments:

  1. Toledo is the best place to live! I guess I have my preferences! Can't wait to find out where your site is! Super exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pictures Amy! I wish I could see all of these. Take care of yourself gril :)

    ReplyDelete