Saturday, September 5, 2009

Belize City!

What a day, what a day! I wasn't expecting to go to Belize City so soon and would have rather gone for fun, but either way, I made it there and back. I was so nervous yesterday when told I would have to brave the bus ride by myself, but luckily I have the best host mom ever and she offered to go with me. She even went over to my Language and Culture Facilitator's house early early this morning to clarify what was going on and seeing if she should go with me. It was so great to have someone with me, and I think I'll be able to go on my own when I go back in a few weeks. The doctor visit was nothing major, just checking out the hole in my ear drum. I guess it's in a good spot, should heal on it's own, is not infected, and there's no permanent hearing loss. It's just uncomfortable. But yeah, I love my host mom. She takes care of me, going above and beyond anything I could have asked for, giving me motivation to learn K'ekchi. I want to express how grateful I am, but all I could do was give her a hug and say "tojo'kre" once we got home. Also, when we made it back I had pictures on my door. One on the outside from Jose', with High School Musical stickers and a speech bubble that said, "I love Amy as my friend." Then on the inside, Mario drew me a nice race car. I'll keep them both forever. When I was telling them about going to Belize City and also the trip I'll be taking tomorrow, they always ask, "You'll be back?" I'm already wondering what I will do when the answer is no... On a brighter note, I've noticed my family speaking more directly to me. I usually have a blank stare as my response, but sometimes I'm able to pick up on a few words. How exciting!
Technical training has been great as well. We went to interview the principal at the school here and she is quite the woman. Most principals here also teach or substitute which is what she was doing the past couple years, but now, since the school has grown, she is able to focus more on her administration. I have yet to understand what all that involves, but was amazed to hear she still has time to privately tutor a boy who had never been to school before and wanted to learn. She didn't want to put a 14 year old in with the Infant 1 four year olds so she took it upon herself to teach him. Wow, wow, wow! Plus she does training for all her teachers. I would like to follow her around for a day and can only hope the principal at the school in my placement site has half that ambition. Next week we'll get to observe a classroom, then take a student and do a diagnostic reading test.
Hope all is well with all of you.
Loves and Hugs! ~Amy

5 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about your eardrum! You will learn to love and enjoy all that is Belize City and all the wonderful things that it has to offer: grocery stores, restaurants, The Bakadeer, characters at the bus station, The Princess, and so much more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. MISS YOU!! Hole in your eardrum?!? jigga what?!
    What's your number? Love the update!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy-So glad everthing is going good for you, sounds like a exciting time! Stay happy and strong in the Lord as he is watching over you and I pray for you daily. Sending you a hug too so you can reach your daily quota!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Amy, I hope you're having a wonderful time!! Sorry I missed you before you left, I hope everything goes great for you and i've bookmarked your blog so I can keep up with your adventures!

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete