Saturday, October 23, 2010

PSE Writing Class

This year instead of helping Florentina with the math evening classes I will be leading my own session on writing. I wasn't sure how much I liked doing a class on my own because I really liked the set-up last year of co-teaching with Florentina, but I decided just to go with it and I've really enjoyed it so far. I was reminded that if I ever was to teach it would be the middle grades and I realized that I like teaching writing more than math because there really are no wrong answers. We talked about class expectations right away and they came up with their own, "communication and cooperation." I was really impressed with this and have found those two words to be quite inclusive when I refer back to them. The first week I had them write a letter to themselves and this really threw them off. "You want me to do what?" They thought I was crazy, but still did it anyway. My favorite was one who introduced himself, "My name is.... I am .... I live in....." But really, that's how they start their friendly letters so I understood where he was coming from. The second week I gave them a quote to journal about which was also a foreign concept but they gave it their best shot and my favorite from that was the following.
"This quote means to me that may be this "let the beauty we love be what we do" is telling us to love the beauty in what we do and the beauty will love us in what we do too. I find beutifull is by loving one another. and it would be one loving each other."
What we could all learn from 12 year old boys! I'm finding myself excited to plan the lessons and looking forward to class. What a pleasant surprise. If you have any fun writing games, send them my way. They really liked paper trail.
Loves and hugs!

No comments:

Post a Comment