Thursday, October 7, 2010

Little Bits of Life

~I absolutely love, love, love that I still have at least one letter waiting for me when I go to the post office. Thank you all so much for your support, encouragement, and prayers. I could not be doing what I'm doing if I felt I was doing it alone. I have a few very loyal penpals and enjoy random notes like from my new friend from the Philippines and even Nebraska's very own US Senator, Mike Johanns.
~I tried out my new pumice stone I picked up in Barranco awhile ago. I did an experiment, only scrubbing one foot and wow, there was quite a difference. After I did my own I asked Hillaria if I could wash her feet. I couldn't believe all the scars and roughness and she's only eleven. I actually was surprised she let me was her feet and how much I enjoyed doing it. I hope some of the ladies will let me, too. I'll just have to take along my stone when I go to visit. After I finished Hillaria's scrub, I put some lotion on her feet. "sununk" - smells nice. While leaving my house she was cute saying, "Thanks Amy" and " I won't dirty my feet now, I will wear my slippers." Which was what she did after carefully walking to find them. That girl makes me smile more than anything.
~Both Alejandro and Martha will be attending high school. I was a little nervous at first because comments were made that there might not be enough money to send them both but Martha will try her best at Corazon Creek Technical High School and Alejandro will finish his last year at Julian Cho. He finished first in the construction department last year. Way to go! So happy I'll be here to see him graduate.
~I always say "Bless you," when someone sneezes although in Belize it is believed that someone is asking for you. I forgot how to say this correctly in K'ekchi so I asked the young girl I was with what to say when someone sneezes. Her response, "Tyok'at chi atisimak." Which confused me more as I must have been way off. I asked her to translate since it sounded different than the little I remembered. She said, "You are sneezing." Of course that is what you would say!
~I've been visiting families I hadn't had a chance to yet and it's been so great! I'm always reminded Santa Teresa is full of sweet people and I'm lucky to live here. It helped me get over my year slump that's for sure.

1 comment:

  1. I loved the story about "bless you" It made me laugh. What a wonderful experience you are having. - JaNette

    ReplyDelete