Friday, October 8, 2010

More Little Bits

~If anyone wonders where I get my positive outlook on life, they need to meet my mother.
~I finished testing each student's reading level in record time, and not only do I already have pull-out reading groups set up but there are two teachers interested in learning how to administer the test! All I did was share the results and they were curious so I promised to show them the day I am in each one's class. Woot woot! Goal number one: Transfer of Skills! I had planned to do a tutorial workshop last year but it never happened. To me this is way better because the interest is there. I thought that would be the hardest part, even chatted with Kevina a bit on how we could get the teachers to see the results of the test were important enough to motivate them to learn how to then use the MICO DRA. I figured I had a year to work on this so when Mr. Pop asked aoubt the test I saw my in and thought, "yeah." Then when Mr. Ical wondered too, I thought, "oh yeah!" And back to reading groups. I'm downsizing the number of students to work with, and after Kevina's workshop have a better idea of what I'm doing. The reading will take place during gardening, allowing me to then help there when we finish. "Nab'al nab'al lix q'atz'ol." (we read a lot) from the song Mr. Chub wrote.
~I'm helping with the Peace Corps 2010 Annual Report we will distribute to stakeholders, counterparts, potential counterparts, Washington, current volunteers, etc. Peace Corps Belize used to make a year book which was more for the volunteers but that was a few years back so this is a first and I'm pretty excited about it. Our theme for the booklet is, "Because we work together," so we're collecting success stories plus trying to get volunteers to inform the committee of upcoming events to come take pictures, videos, and interviews. Our goal is to show the importance of building relationships in country and not only are we making a difference in the lives of Belizeans, but being here has a huge impact on our own lives, which is what I'm experiencing and am remided of everyday.
~Anne Marshall, a TFABB Volunteer working with the preschool came back to Belize a month before the workshop to spend July sharing the beautiful country with her family. I didn't think I would get to see her when they first came in, but because of Tropical Storm Alex, we were not able to stay in Placencia for Lobsterfest so instead I was in town and got to spend a whole Sunday with Anne and her two children. I just have to say I enjoyed it so much, maybe because it was unexpected, but it was so nice. What great kids she has! I feel very lucky to be working with TFABB, not only because it's great for the school, but also the wonderful TFABBers I've been able to get to know.
~I have a problem leaving umbrellas. If I would buy one everytime I lose one and carry it with me in case it would rain, who knows how much money I would waste. Instead I'll wait until it is raining, if there's noone around to share nor a shop to buy one quick, I'll either get wet or stay where it's dry. So I guess umbrellas aren't as important as I thought they would be here.

1 comment:

  1. Awww...thanks! We had a great time too - one of our trip highlights for sure :-). I have been reading all of your updates. Sounds like things are going great! Miss you! Hugs, Anne

    ReplyDelete