Monday, July 20, 2009

Easily Attached

"Wherever you go, go with all your heart.” -Confucius

I had such a great time in Colorado! A mini vacation was just what I needed. I actually slept... and had silly dreams. One was about throwing shoes at a saleswoman. Ha ha! I guess not having closed-toe black shoes is really getting to me. I went shopping with my mom at this mall I had dreamt about before, looking for comfortable shoes. Long story short, the lady was trying to sell me shoes I did not want, we started arguing and throwing shoes at each other. Because that is SO me. I seem to be very aggressive in a lot of my dreams, weird. I finally decided to apologize and all I could do was laugh. As I walked away, a shoe hit me in the back of the head. I told my aunt this dream and she went looking in her closet for some black shoes she had just bought and wore once, but couldn't wear because they were too small. I guess she didn't want me having any more upsetting dreams about shoes. I very much enjoyed relaxing and spending time with Aunt Kathy, Ryan, Daci, Ben, and of course, Joanna. How perfect to ride with a great friend! The hardest part was giving Aunt Kathy a hug, knowing it would be the last one for awhile. I love hugs and don't like lasts. While talking with my friend, Ben, he mentioned knowing a girl who did Peace Corps. I was all over that, and thought it was great this girl was offering her contact information to answer any questions I might have. What a sweet connection! Not only do we share an awesome friend, but we also both have a Peace Corps interest, which I'm finding can be enough to become best friends. So maybe Terrence, my friend who grew up in Belize that I talk to every once in awhile was right when he said I got attached too easily. I can't stop thinking about that and wondering what that will mean once I leave the country.
I finally got out my luggage and measured it to make sure the dimensions were under the limit. I've fit most of what I think I want to take, but still need to weigh it to make sure it's under 80lbs. I looked at the calendar and couldn't believe the little amount of time I have left. I already have plans for my last few weekends and that's how I know time is flying by and won't be slowing down. I'm not worried about packing though, I know I'll have a list of things I should have brought once I get there, and I know I'll be able to deal with living without what I forgot.
Staging is in Washington, D.C. and I'm super excited to have an extra day to enjoy the city. I'll leave 6am from Omaha and get to D.C. around 9:30am. I surprise myself sometimes with my courage and free spiritness. I've been to the capital before, so I know it's pretty easy to get around on the Metro and have had a few must see suggestions: walking to the top of the Washington Monument, Smithsonian, and a twilight tour. Maybe it's good for me to have a day trip to plan, knowing what to expect, instead of continuously wondering what the the next couple years will bring. Which reminds me, I can't help but think how awesome it would be to extend my stay a third year. I know, I have no idea what it will be like there, but I already think I'll want to stay, may go back to that whole being easily attached. I asked my friend Brigitte if the feelings were normal, wondering if she thought the same thing before she left, but she just thought I was crazed. I don't know what it is, I just love hearing about volunteers who stayed 3 years, but I do know as an education volunteer it will be unlikely. And I guess I'm writing it down now so I can laugh at it later.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Amy! Good to meet another new Belize 09 Volunteer. We look forward to meeting you the 19th!
    --Clifton and Alyson

    ReplyDelete