Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Life is better when done together.

"Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much."
~Helen Keller
Last night I went out to Camp Riverview to join the campers during campfire. I recognized most of the faces from past camps that I counseled. I was especially happy to see Maria. I only know her from two weeks of camp, one that was five years ago and the other was three years ago. We have a special connection, and I'm not really sure what it is, that just happens with some people. I was able to get her address, thinking it would be great to send her letters from Belize and hopefully hear back from her. When she was writing down her address, I asked her if she was sure I had never written her a letter because I thought I had. She responded, "No, I would have remembered that." I didn't know what to say, and now while thinking about it, I'm reminded of what another friend said recently. I hadn't seen Teresa in a long time either. She was so happy for me, joining the Peace Corps, knowing I would love it, saying, "You have no idea how much people look up to you." Again, I had no response. It's good to hear because it makes me feel more accountable. But back to camp, before prayer group time, Pastor Chris announced, without me knowing, that I was moving to Belize for two years as a Peace Corps Volunteer. When he said I was leaving in a month, my first thought was... nuh uh... but actually he's almost right. He then asked the campers to keep me in their prayers, which would be nice, I've never heard of such a thing as too many people praying for you.
I finally got to talk to my friend Margaret, who is hoping to start her Peace Corps adventure in September. I wanted to ask her if she got an invitation to the Nebraska send-off party. I'm wanting to go, I always enjoy hearing other peoples' stories, and at first I thought it was a party for volunteers that were returning, and I was invited since they had my contact information (I guess I missed the send-off part.) I'm glad I talked to her because I didn't realize the party was actually for people like me, getting ready to leave. Ha ha! She asked me what I was doing to prepare, and I mentioned contacting teachers to see if any are interested in being classroom connections. I would love to be able to write letters to those at NLS, plus I might have a couple other teachers interested. Again, this will help keep me there. I'm preparing now for those hard days later. Not that I think I'll want to come home everyday I'm in Belize, but I'm sure those thoughts will come up. It's like I think writing letters to schools in the States is another commitment I'm making for two years. Margaret didn't think either of us had anything to worry about stating, "I'm too proud, and you're too sweet." I don't know about that, but I do know I'm excited to be sitting around together when we're 90, telling our grandchildren about our amazing Peace Corps experiences.
It's been so great talking with people who are in Belize now and those that will be on my team. Thanks to Olivia I'm not as freaked out about being a teacher trainer without much classroom experience myself. I also have a better idea of what to pack, which is a task I'll focus on after buying a few more essentials. When thinking about joining the Peace Corps I knew only a certain type of person would do it, and part of me just wanted to meet these other people. Soon I will!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Amy, just saw your posting on my blog - now we're 40 days out!! wheeee, looking forward to meeting you and everyone else! not looking forward to packing :-)

    ReplyDelete