Saturday, June 5, 2010

Cacao Fest!

A couple weeks ago I was able to help at an annual even here in Toledo- Cacao Fest! (http://www.toledochocolate.com/) There are many cacao growers in the area, so each year they celebrate the bean for an entire weekend. The first night was a cocktail-like party serving wine and, you guessed it, chocolate. The night was spent on the rooftop of one of the University of Belize buildings. There were brownies, fudge, truffles, candies, covered nuts and coffee beans, even a chocolate fountain with fresh mango and mango and pineapple. Delicious. I felt pretty spoiled volunteering at such an even as I, too, was enjoying the chocolate and wine, but I did "work" too. There was an area for food, so naturally I was drawn to help there. Help was needed setting up and keeping full the salads, chips and dips, and shrimp with chocolate sauces. I was in my element and felt so much at home being reminded of serving at the cafe' and all my other food service jobs. I was so happy and couldn't keep from smiling. Maybe Mr. Chub is right by predicting I'll open up a restaurant when I move back home, of course specializing in Belizean dishes. If was also fun because a girl from another village who works in PG was helping, too, and we became fast friends. Oh! And a major highlight, the beautiful, beautiful, beautiful firework display at the end of the night. Quite impressive.
The next morning was the fair by the sea front where vendors had set up tents, selling their goods while music played on the loud speakers. I helped with the Cacao for Kids, which was different art activities including rock painting, puppet shows, and sidewalk chalk on the pier. I spent a few hours trading a box of chalk for cacao beans. As the children signed up for the event, they were given a bag of beans that they used as currency to participate in each activity. Someone had painted a mural on the pier of trees and flowers and animals for the kids to color in with chalk. Most of the kids just wanted to get their box of chalk and leave so it was my job to encourage them to stay and color. Some beautiful creations were made, including a huge, multi-colored whale in a tree. I recognized some of the little boys from the Earth Day trash clean-up back in Indianville, but could only place them after they left. I think it was even a couple days after when I finally realized why they looked familiar. Plus, I met a next new friend. This girl was from London but volunteering in Dangriga, her year of service about to be done. We chatted quite a bit and she even brought me water a little later knowing I would be thristy, what a sweetheart. I love how kind people have been to me here.
The last day of the festival was celebrated at an archeological site, Lubaantun. I had a short tour given by the those excavating the site and spent the day enjoying the cultural Monkey dance and the performance of the Three Kings. I loved how I kept running into some of the same people all weekend reminding me what a small place I live in. Loves and Hugs!

No comments:

Post a Comment