Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Graduation!


The Preschool and Standard VI had graduation yesterday! I was so happy I had my camera to take pictures. We started with the preschool in the morning. Wait! The day started with all the kids blowing up balloons in the community center, helping to decorate. It was so fun and I loved how all the kids were working together! Those four year-olds were so cute marching down the aisle to Pomp and Circumstance, then sitting in those big plastic chairs while the program went on. They did a couple skits and sang "I love you." This was the first year for a preschool in Santa Teresa so it was our first ever graduation. I was a little sad Miss Florentina had to miss it as she is in Belize City still finishing up her Early Childhood Education Certificate. She'll be more than ready to take on the preschool next year and Miss Regina did a great job in her place the whole month of June. We then took a break for lunch and everyone came back at 1:00 for the next round.
First of all I would like to take some time to note how wonderful the villagers of Santa Teresa are. I already knew this, but it seems they always outdo themselves and make me happier still to be a part of their community. The Village Council decided this year that they would like to have graduation gowns for the commencement exercise this year but instead of renting, they wanted the school to have their own set, so they purchased the fabric to donate to the school. Then they asked a few women to sew the gowns, some offered to sew the gowns for free and a few only charged $10. So now Santa Teresa RC School will have beautiful gowns for graduation the next 10 years or so. How wonderful! The students looked so sharp as you can see in the pictures (Yay! I can take pictures! Thanks again John and Mica!) The valedictorian and salutatorian are in the dark blue, each giving speeches during the ceremony. Steven, the valedictorian had the highest ever PSE (Primary School Exam) score from the village with a 70.75. Woot woot! Our guest speaker read "The Giving Tree," and I have to admit I had goosebumps more than once. I feel like I appreciate higher education more since being here. I know some of the students won't go onto high school, but most of them will at least try one year, which makes me happy.


After the ceremony everyone was invited to the PTA Chairman's house for caldo poch. The PTA purchased chickens and each family was responsible for bringing a bowl of poch (corn masa wrapped in a leaf then put in a pot and steamed pretty much) and some fire wood. Another example of the strong sense of community in Santa Teresa. We all support and take care of each other. As soon as I had finished my lunch I had a visitor. Taylor had come to tell me we were having our practice consolidation, she wanted to let me know before going down the road to Poite so I would be ready when they came back through. I asked if she wanted some caldo (spicy soup) knowing there would be plenty and of course after she left Mr. Max, the PTA Chairman, came up to me to ask if my friend wanted to eat. How sweet!
So yes, now I'll just be hanging out in Belmopan for a couple days, then Placencia Lobsterfest, then Ke'kchi language training! This summer is going to go by so fast! Loves and hugs!

1 comment:

  1. The pictures are great and I love the gowns! So glad you were able to enjoy the festivities.

    ReplyDelete