Sunday, June 21, 2009

Out with the old, in with the new - from weather to teeth

"Have patience with everything that remains unsolved in your heart. Try to love the questions themselves, like locked rooms and like books written in a foreign language. Do not now look for the answers. They cannot now be given to you because you could not live them. It is a question of experiencing everything. At present you need to live the question. Perhaps you will gradually, without even noticing it, find yourself experiencing the answer, some distant day."


~Rainer Maria Rilke



It's almost as if I needed to stay in Nebraska until August so I could remember just how hot 90 + degree weather can be, especially when it's humid. My mom was worrying about me sleeping upstairs without a fan. We both decided I needed to get used to it though.

I was able to get some shopping done. I found a pair of ecco sandals that are super comfortable, a couple solid color tops (thanks for the suggestion, Brigitte, I would have never thought about the whole being able to dress-up/dress-down or how shirts with prints will be harder to keep nice), and drawstring lightweight jeans. I also bought a travel Bible, The Princess Bride, and Larka gave me one of her copies of Searching For God Knows What. Three books I know I'll enjoy reading over and over. Another gift from a past roommate-my Jeep rolling backpack. It's probably the coolest thing ever! Brigitte included airtight packing bags, thinking they will make me realize I need to use them instead of under packing. She knows me too well.

What I've found better than the buying though is the getting rid of. Okay, I've never really liked shopping much, but going through my things and downsizing has been so freeing. Simplification truly is a part of spiritual wellness.

Another weight that has been lifted was finally getting my dental work done. I now have two beautiful crowns ready to chew on all the rice and beans I'll be eating for the next two years. I couldn't believe how much better I felt getting that done and am looking forward to seeing that green check mark next to my dental clearance.

Also, I finally heard from the Peace Corps! The Belize Training Manager emailed me to set up a teleconference on the 30th! Yippee!

1 comment:

  1. Ours teleconference is the 30th too!! I liked reading about your supplies for PC, and I totally agree about the whole less is more thing!

    ReplyDelete