Wednesday, May 11, 2011

"They can't take our fun away."

Mother's Day was so much fun in Santa Teresa! Although I did miss my own mother, I was surrounded by all my favorite mothers in Belize. The celebrations started Saturday afternoon when my GLOW girls made Mother's Day cards for their own mothers and grandmothers. I made a few to then deliver the next day. I woke up early Sunday morning to see the Lords of the Rainforest bicycle race pass through the village. I was invited to go along in a truck which was a good idea. I had fun, but was surprised to see how many men dropped out after not going too far. Good thing they had a truck and trailer following behind to carry all of them. A boy from the village came in fifth.
We rode along beside him for awhile about 3/4 of the way through, telling him at the moment he was in the spot to win a sheep, but he should go get fourth place, a cash prize. We then decided he wanted that sheep and was happy to stay where he was, thinking it was worth more than the money. I talked to him a bit after he finished and couldn't believe he was still riding his bike. I wouldn't have been able to walk. He even offered to carry me back to Santa Teresa later since I was stuck in Blue Creek now without a ride. I wanted to stay for the football games, but knew I needed to be back at 3:00 for a softball game. I was waiting for the boys from Santa Teresa to play, thinking that maybe, just maybe if they lost (I know a bad thought) I would have a ride home, them being ready to go home. Good for the team, but bad for me, they won, and it was quickly approaching 2:30. It takes about 30 minutes to drive from where I was to where I needed to be, and I had only my feet to take me, barely any trucks were passing. I went anyway, a few Santa Teresa villagers passed me on their bikes, thinking I was crazy to be walking, "Mas chik sak'e" - the sun is hot, but you do what you have to do. I didn't want Petrona, the chairlady of the women's group and organizer of the fun day, to be disappointed in me for not trying at least to get back. I walked awhile then, what was that? A truck passing? Yes! This made me think of Lauren and her commenting on how things always work out for me, but I think that's the way it goes when you are living for others. I easily could have stayed in Blue Creek, telling Petrona sorry once I did reach late, she would have understood, plus I didn't really think it was necessary for me to be there. I guess I was wrong and needed to be there. Thanks to the kind souls who gave me a ride, I've decided they were angels since I had no idea who they were or why they were going to Santa Teresa (later I found out they were buying lumber, who goes to a back village on a Sunday afternoon to buy lumber?), I made it just in time to stop at my house to grab some water and hustle to the church. We had enough to play a mothers v. youth game when I came, but just wait, here they all come... we ended up having a full on mothers v. mothers competition.

We had to first explain to them that there would be no prizes for the winners. At first, Petrona had the idea of having a Mother's Day fun day at the field, little games and contests and music. We didn't have support from the village leaders though,so almost canceled the whole thing altogether. Luckily, when I went to help Petrona kill her chickens to prepare for the meal for the men helping Mr. Max plant, we decided to just have a softball game for fun. Mr. Max didn't understand this, neither did another husband who came to find his wife, wondering where his dinner was... little tension there, but all in all the day was so much fun! Some of these ladies had never played before and the rest not for a very long time. We all enjoyed ourselves, and I wonder how many were sore the next day. I think though it's something we will continue, every Sunday evening, this being their idea. Like I said before, they didn't need me there, I actually didn't even play, but I guess they all wanted me there. Petrona told me when she was inviting the mothers they all asked if I would be there, not sure if that's really why they all ended up coming, but maybe that's where their children get it from. Oh, and notice, too, the crowd that formed. Not only did we have full game, but also a cheering section.

And not to forget, my cheeks were so sore from smiling and laughing so much. That's how much fun we had. And another thing, I went to deliver my few cards and the last stop even got a hug, which doesn't happen much. That made me so happy I almost cried. Hope your Mother's Day was just a wonderful.

3 comments:

  1. You look so pretty Miss Amy! Glad you have had so many visitors. I should gather up my journaling from our trip and write. Should I just do it in the comment section? I saw in a March post that you had 7 more months. Not coming back until October?? I was thinking August for some reason. We had a couple of hot days - 96 degrees and I thought of you. It must be getting quite warm. Love ya. girl.
    Larka

    ReplyDelete
  2. This makes my heart smile in so many ways! So glad to hear it all worked out! I wouldn't expect anything less from you, Miss Amy! I am always praying for you and the village! I miss the children. Send them my love and a hello for me! xoxo

    ReplyDelete