Friday, May 27, 2011

Gardens Galore




Fences are going up everywhere in Santa Teresa. This makes me so very happy as it is great to see families in the village starting gardens close to their houses. Some are high school students wanting to apply what they have been learning, the others, I think, are funded by an organization in town. Of course this means I've been asked for seeds, so if you have some, send them my way. I'm curious to find out what will grow here. How exciting to try popcorn! Thanks to my mom for asking, Popcorn County USA for providing, and Joanna for bringing, I've been distributing popcorn seeds to anyone who asks. I even got to help the Ack family while they were planting. Another family ready to plant as soon as I brought the seeds to their house was the Bo family. Olivia, the mom, is one of my new favorite people. I wasn't sure why exactly until her husband pointed out she loved to laugh, yep, that would be it. I've only recently started visiting them. She is actually from Poite, her youngest brother being one of my favorite people there. Olivia and Pedro have the cutest little boy, too, Arnoldo. He repeats almost everything you say, or at least tries, and with me this is an English lesson. The best part was when he walked away saying, "tzakal"-enough. So he likes to talk and is being started young learning to garden. I was surprised though when Pedro told me the organization giving the supplies to start the gardens had yet to give much training. That seems backward. I was asking, too, if he had any solutions of keeping ants out of his garden. He didn't know that either. Time to do some research of my own, unless you reading this have any suggestions. That would be great! I'll soon put up a picture of the plants growing, don't you worry. Yippee! Now it's just keeping the bugs away. Loves and hugs!

No comments:

Post a Comment