Friday, May 7, 2010

DRA Retesting

Since it's already the end of the school year I decided I should retest those students who were in reading groups to mark any improvements and get a better idea who I should try working with during the summer. I also tested the Infant I students to get a heads up for next year. I started with the young ones and honestly was a little discouraged. Of eleven, two could actually read, a few knew their letters and sounds but couldn't yet for words and some barely even knew their letters. I'm hoping to work with the three that are the furthest behind in the afternoons, taking them out of class. Oh! And I have to mention how advanced one student was. What a difference pre-school makes; he transferred here from town and really had a head start. Makes me hopeful for years to come at Santa Teresa.
Now, the Standard I students, that was a different story. All 15 identified as struggling readers showed improvement!! One boy went from a pre-primer level to Grade 2b! Woot! He, along with three other girls will no longer read with me in the afternoons. I'm so impressed with Mr. Perez, knowing he's doing such a great job with them in the classroom. I even made little comparison graphs to hang in the office. When I told him the results he talked about how he's letting the students read to each other at the front of the class and how he's now trying to get them to work on expressions. What a boost! How I love to celebrate success! And it's motivation to retest the rest. Loves and hugs!

No comments:

Post a Comment