Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Spelling Bee


Every year Coca-Cola sponsors a national spelling bee here in Belize. Schools send representatives to zone eliminations, the winners from each zone go to districts, then the winners of districts go to nationals. There is a list of 300 words that is given out to the students, so they're able to study the general list. Anyone with a good memory could make it past the first couple rounds and after that a reserve list is used. While preparing for the school competition to see who would represent Santa Teresa, Mr. Ical asked if I would help by pronouncing the words. This was a mistake, with my accent the students had the hardest time understanding what I was saying. The next time I helped I was a judge and timer instead. Our school elimination was help at the church across the road from the school and all the students watched. There were four students competing, the top two from Standard 5 and 6 and the top two from Standard 4. I wasn't surprised the whole afternoon was scheduled for the competition. The bee ended up taking a shorter amount of time and the winners were Leticia and Roberto. They then went on to represent Santa Teresa in Mabil Ha at the zone elimination. This was Leticia's third time going and did her best ever, coming in third place. She won a t-shirt and some Coke school supplies, but only the top two places will go onto districts. I was pretty happy for her. Well done Leticia!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Amy

    I will be visiting Santa Teresa as part of a Island Expedition trip in two weeks and searching on the net I came across your blog.Nice work! I want to bring some school supplies - any suggestions?
    Hopefully you'll get online before I leave
    Bernard

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bernard! I'll be seeing you soon! I'm so glad you found my blog and that you let me know your plans to come! You will love Belize, that is if you don't already. Have you been here before? I'm excited to meet you! As for what is needed at the school I know Mr. Chub, our principal, has been wanting football (soccer) shoes for the team, so if bringing various sizes would be possible (it would be for 10-12 year olds) that would be greatly appreciated. Maybe some socks as well or any sports equipment. We were also just given two laptops and I'm concerned about the humidity ruining them, but don't know for sure the best way to store them. So yes, both of those things are asking big but I thought I might as well. :) We could also use typing sheets and construction paper. I'll ask Mr. Chub for other ideas and get back to you by Wednesday. Please email me at awaterman5@gmail.com. Thanks again for informing me of your visit and offering to help!

    ReplyDelete