Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Just being there.


I love my visits. I'm such a kid.It makes me laugh to think of Peggy's comment, "some people don't know they're grown up. I'm that way, you, too, Amy." I love how she picked up on that barely knowing me. I didn't realize it was that apparent. I have so much fun just playing games, I only wish I had more time. I'm doing my best to keep it fair, making a list and keeping track when I am visiting each family. After my last visit with the Max family, well one of the Max families, I was reminded why just being there is important. The time before I had helped shell corn, knowing chores should be done before playing games. This time Paulina was sitting on her little tem, holding a knife, cleaning a large pile of fish. It must have been a good day for a fishing trip. I stood and watched for awhile until I was asked if I wanted to help. I'm not sure I've ever touched a dead fish, well except the very few times I actually caught a fish and tried taking it off the hook and even that made me squirm. What am I saying, just thinking back to that makes me squirm. But I guess when you're in Belize things are different so I sad down next to her, knife in hand. I descaled maybe one fish to her two or three, but each time I finished she would say, "us, us (good, good), you are getting it Miss Amy." I left the cutting to her until the last fish, but still couldn't grab the guts inside, maybe next time. While cleaning the fish, Paulina grabbed a live one that flopped out of her hand. Luckily, that didn't happen to me. I was a little more weary after that and started moving the fish in my hand a little wondering if it could still be alive. This made Paulina laugh because the fish was very much so dead indeed. After joking a bit I realized if cleaning fish can be made fun, anything can. While cleaning up, Paulina mentioned wanting to make banana cake and after asked about starting a garden. Yep! She was hoping I could help which was just what I've been wanting to do. I even have some seeds already! (Thanks Nick!) I had thought about asking Mr. Chub if I could plant in part of the school's garden so I wouldn't have to build my own fence, those pigs will dig up everything unless kept out, but I think having a garden with Paulina would be way better. There are a couple organizations in town that help with personal gardens and even provided training. I'll soon go find out what needs to be done and hopefully get things moving right away. I'm very excited! So yeah, playing games with the kids is great and as you can see they are all adorable, but the opportunity to help with little projects like gardening makes me think to myself, "this is Peace Corps, this is why I am here." Who knows what elso will come from my evening visits and just being there.

No comments:

Post a Comment