Friday, August 12, 2011

COS Survey


A few weeks ago we had our Close/Continuation of Service conference. Of the 41 trainees that stepped off the plane only two years ago, 40 swore in as volunteers, 23 made it to the COS conference, and now we're down to 20. I'm back to that roller coaster of emotions being super excited to come home, but very sad to leave. Once while talking to a man from Santa Teresa, him trying to convince me to stay saying all the children are used to me now and will miss me when I'm gone, I explained to him how I knew what they would feel already and turned it back around saying, "They'll all just have one person to miss, but me... I'll have 500." He then nodded his head and said, "Ohhhh" For the conference we all filled out a little survey and I thought I would share it with you, it being something I've already typed up and me not updating my blog near enough. Hope you enjoy!
COS Survey:
Name:Amy JoAnn Waterman

Nick name/house name:Miss A, Auntie Ames

Project Assignment:Primary Teacher Trainer at Santa Teresa R.C. School

Project Reality:Teacher training, reading groups, library, girls’ club

Most Useful thing brought to country:cookbook

Least useful thing brought to country:rain jacket

Best “I know I’m in the Peace Corps” moment:The first night I was in my site we arrived late and I had to use the bathroom. My host family was so excited to meet me and feed me, and I was a little nervous to ask to use the latrine, not sure if I was ready to see what it looked like- especially after all the cockroaches during training. After dinner and a little conversation, I couldn’t hold my bladder any longer, so I finally asked Mr. Mas where to go. He took me to the backside of the house, pointed in the direction of the latrine but said, “It’s dark Miss; you can just piss here.”

Funniest experience in country:It’s always the little things that make me laugh and there have been quite a few, especially when talking to the children. I will share just a few.
One favorite was everyday I would ask this little boy, “How are you?” And he would respond, “Five years old!” Every time, well, now he’s seven, but I wondered if he ever thought when I would stop asking how old he was. I don’t think so.
Even though some people are annoyed with the pointing out of the obvious, I find it more funny everyday, remembering back to instances from even over a year ago, like a little boy stopping me in the middle of the road while the rain was pouring down just to say, “It’s raining Miss,” like it was the most important news of the day and I didn’t know already.
Another time Kevina was visiting me in Santa Teresa. Always villagers ask me the name of my friends and always I wish they would just talk directly to the person they want to know about, so when a boy did, I responded, “Ask her.” He nodded his head, “Ohhh…. Oscar”

Most memorable illness/injury:The first weekend in country I jumped off a cliff and ruptured my eardrum.

Most Belizean habit to take home with you:never using silverware
Most creative way to kill time in site:knitting pot scrubbers out of onion sacks

How have you changed?I always thought I would be able to live a lifetime of travel, but I’ve realized I’m quite a homebody.

What will you miss 6 months from now?Six months from now I know I’ll still be singing, “Where have all the brown eyes gone” in the style of Paula Cole.

Favorite Belizean clothing:po’ot/uuq

New skill? Besides weaving shoulder bags, whistling with my bottom lip.
What’s next?Two month tour of Central America. Family time.

Number of trips to the US: 1
Number of guests who visited you: 8
Belizean phrase I will most likely still be using in 6 months:Chaab’il. Us.

Most interesting creatures found in your house:a beheaded lizard under my bed, a butterfly chrysalis on my doorframe, quite possibly a Blue Morpho, and the biggest beetle (?) I’ve ever seen, as long as my hand, with wings
Favorite Belizean food:lancha – fresh fish covered in pepper then wrapped in wala leaf, cooked over the fire
First thing I will eat in the states:ice cream
Favorite book read in PC? Donald Miller –A Million Miles in a Thousand Years
Experience that changed my attitude or perspective:During Christmas after midnight mass, I went to the house that was servingcaldo. Everyone was sitting around waiting to eat, each mother bringing her bowls to the kitchen. I didn’t know I was supposed to bring my own bowl and realized I had no family to take care of me. I never really felt homesick before this and it may have been the first time almost crying. There are quite a few families I’m close with in the village, but nothing can compare to my real family.
I am most proud of:Anytime I seesomeone I’ve worked with doing something on their own whether it be reading aloud to their class, dramatic play in the preschool, making soap, baking cinnamon rolls, coming to the library, setting up softball games, raising money for a trip, and more I’m sure.
I will most likely be remembered for:visiting villagers
Most important lesson learned:importance of family
Countries visited:Mexico, USA, Guatemala
After two years of service what I know for sure:I’ve been given far more than I ever could have given.
Haiku:
To be more, meet more.
I am part of those I’ve met.
To meet more, go more.

1 comment:

  1. ames, thanks for sharing--i miss you so much i can hardly wait for your return it will be a merry Christmas for sure!! Love you bunches and miss you more

    ReplyDelete