Monday, June 6, 2011

Baker's Elbow and more

A couple weeks ago I had baker's elbow. Explanation, if needed. First of all, baking is what they call flattening tortillas by patting them out on pieces of plastic. Secondly, it was planting season all of May which made me realize I know many people in the village. A couple of times I was asked to help at a few houses, which I tried my best to do. This means waking up at 2a to help kill the chickens, well actually I couldn't get myself to break their necks, so close, the chicken's head was under my foot even. All I needed to do was pull up on the feet, but no. Have you ever held a live chicken before its death? Between that and watching pig after pig being pieced, I just may become a vegetarian when I'm back in the States. Back to the pain in my elbow, I go from one house to another, flattening tortillas, the ladies laughing at me when I shake my arm because it started to hurt. I've fully recovered by now, from that and eating too much caldo.

How have I not been to the farm before? I went on my first trip and of course what do I do... pick peppers! After helping Elicia with her wash two days in a row - I really like going to the creek with her and not being in a rush to go anywhere, this will be more often come July. Anyways, while finishing, Elicia asked when I was going to the farm with her. I replied whenever you ask, which happened to be that evening. Yippee! I had no prior commitments and would be ready as soon as it was a little cooler. By five o'clock we were ready, biked about 15 minutes then walked a little, spotted a family of monkeys, crossed on a fallen down tree, then there we were, at the farm, pulling peppers. To me it was more like picking wild peppers, the plants being scattered between banana and papaya trees, but the girls told me they had planted them. I'd say it was a success, too, filling half of a 50# flour bag, at least I think that's the kind of bag it was. It looked like a lot to me, probably enough to last an entire year had it been only for me, but them, they'll be needing my help again to go back by next week, if not before.

The rain has finally come! I was talking to Jerry a couple weeks ago, asking how things were going and he mentioned all the rain. My comment, "That's where it is! Send it south!" I was happy it wasn't lost and even more so it listened and came to Belize. We've had some lovely rainy days and my favorite, rainy nights, when I sleep so well being lulled by the sound of it coming down on my thatch. Mr. Mas even fixed my roof, so I no longer need to worry about it coming in my house. Yay! Also, how fitting to do an activity with the preschoolers on the clothing worn to protect yourself from the rain. I brought in my jacket and umbrella, then had Florentina bring in her boots to make them all try putting it on and walking across the room. Maybe more for my entertainment than their learning, but I'll share the pictures as soon as I can (forgot to bring my cord to hook up my camera). They were so cute though, my jacket a floor-length dress. Those little ones know how to make me laugh, and smile. I can no longer walk past their room without stopping for my group hug. So happy Florentina taught them that, maybe it will spread throughout the whole village.

No comments:

Post a Comment