Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Confirmation!

Confirmation was in Santa Teresa this year. We had 15 confirmants so I knew it would be worse than Christmas, me having too much food to eat that is. I wasn't invited to all the houses even though I most likely could have gone. I won't tell you how many bowls of caldo I was served or how much meat I brought home, but I do remember each time I left one house I thought to myself while walking to the next, 'I'll just tell them I already ate, they won't be offended, for sure they'll understand..." Didn't happen, instead one time I must have been actually forming the words with my lips for a practice because as my mouth was open, a bug flew in. That shut me up, not because it grossed me out to swallow a bug, but I coughed it up to spit it out as there was absolutely no room for him in my stomach. My favorite part was witnessing the godmother/godfather treatment and the exchange of thank yous when they left. I was a little nervous to go to the first house since I didn't want to intrude. My only reason for choosing what house to be first was location, wanting to go from one side of the village to the other. Luckily, I knew the godfather a little bit and he welcomed me inside, "Ok'an comad" (short for comadre, what the parents call their child's godmother) was what he said, asking me to join him, so I guess I was a step-in godmother for a day. If anything, it made me feel more comfortable. Even after being here a year and a half, there are still times I'm reminded I don't belong completely. It's at these times I really miss my family. Anyways, back to "comad...compad..." I love how they add that to every sentence when speaking with each other and how godparents are treated with high respect here. The relationship is beautiful.

1 comment:

  1. What's confirmation? You had to visit a bunch of houses? And I'm sorry you experienced the taste of a bug! haha that is gross.

    ReplyDelete