Friday, July 16, 2010

Come to Silver Creek As Soon As Possible


I went to visit Kevina in Silver Creek to meet her mom a couple weeks ago. I thought it was perfect especially since I wanted to go to town for the 4th of July Celebration, but didn't want to spend 2 days in town and can only get out of my village on market days. Luckily, I saw Greg the Wednesday before just showing up at their house to ask if they had anything planned and if I could come for a visit. "Yeah, sure," is what I went off of, so while walking the mile from the junction to Silver Creek I was hoping plans hadn't changed and me visiting was okay. I had joked that the person I really wanted to see was Brendan, the little boy who gave me the nickname, "crying vampire." I feel like only in Belize would I travel 2 hours without real confirmation and the whole time being totally fine with the possibility they weren't home. Of course they were there though and as soon as the Coh family saw me walking up the road they called Kevina and she came out of her house jumping and clapping. I love that girl! The first thing she asked was, "Did you get my text? I sent it when Greg told me you were coming. I wanted you to come to Silver Creek as soon as possible, thinking you might be able to come on Friday. Fermin sent you one, too. We were worried you wouldn't make it. Yay! You're here! Come meet my mommy!" (possibly all in one breath :)) And here I was worried about intruding on their limited time together. Oh! And as a side note, my Infant I and II teacher last year was from Silver Creek, Mr. Fermin Coh. What a fun connection! He won't be returning to Santa Teresa RC which makes me sad but I understand him wanting to work closer to his family in Silver Creek. Greg and Kevina rent from his parents, living in their family compound.
It was so neat to meet Kevina's mom, Kathie, she's very sweet and I loved hearing how the village embraced her, treating her to tasty meals and giving her gifts. I even got in on some of that as Mr. Fermin decided to make BBQ for lunch Saturday for his brother-in-law visiting, Ms Kathie, and even me. He wanted to invite me to his house since I had never seen it and Kevina informed me he spent 3 days chopping the yard and mentioned how much he appreciated all I did at the school and never had the chance to thank me, so he would take this opportunity to do just that. Wow!
I enjoyed washing at the creek, visiting a few families, watching a football game, and drinking COLD soft drinks. Oh, and Kathie gave me her shoes, people must like giving me things, which I'm never opposed to. And my goodness! I can't believe how much their shops sell. I would never have to go to town! I loved how little Sheldon would climb up in the hammock with me and how he didn't oppose to me taking him back to Santa Teresa with me. So the only thing about visiting Silver Creek is I never stay long enough! I love how welcoming everyone is and how some remember me from times before. I want to say that's not a typical Peace Corps experience, being able to visit a friend's village every once in awhile and getting to know their community a little, too. It's great! Loves and Hugs!

2 comments:

  1. I am Greg's mommy and it is so wonderful to read about how loving their village is. I'm happy to know they are cared for!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy Jo! Im glad you are enjoying yourself, I try to check your blog regularly, it makes me feel closer to you! See you in 16 days.
    Your level 7 Ann sister!

    ReplyDelete